Saturday, May 21, 2011

In the Midst of a Marathon


Mark is having a drawing marathon this weekend at Phoenix in Steveston. I've done nine hours of drawing so far and have six hours of painting tomorrow... and that isn't quite a *full* marathon. So far, I have done drawing in coloured conte' on "charcoal" paper 12" x 18". The paper is slightly smaller than I use at Adrienne's - for easier portability up those three flights of stairs. It also works better for half hour and 45 minute poses. I'll probably photograph and post some of the drawings fairly soon. We've had fun with a variety of models and some creative costuming and themes. Tomorrow is an all-day pose ( with a break for lunch) on the theme of a "Degas Bather". Yes, there will be a tub. This is one I couldn't resist. Back when I was in Art School, one of the exam paintings was a model in a bathtub. There was an actual tin bathtub and we were on risers around it, so we could see into the tub. A bouquet of lilacs completed the scene. I remember the young fellows in the class being eager to volunteer for the job of adding more warm water to the tub! This tub, for tomorrow, is the round kind used in country households back in the old days when the bathing took place in the kitchen. It should be another interesting day. My posted painting is another where I did "brush editing". The actual pose had only one visible foot- but criticisms were that it seemed strange and unbalanced. The solution was to invent where a foot might have been and just show a bit of toe. It has been a major improvement. It's also made me aware of avoiding awkwardness in the first place by seeing that hands or feet don't disappear mysteriously.

No comments: