Sunday, January 22, 2012

37 and 1/2 years later


I don't do watercolours now- except maybe in a sketch book- but I did some years ago. I don't remember all the particulars of this painting. I'm sure I painted it en plein air - and maybe I was running out of time -?- but looking at it later I felt the foreground just wasn't interesting enough and was too flat. I offered a painting exchange to the owner, but she liked the old deserted farmhouse. Then it was loaned to someone else. Then she got it back and said I could "touch it up" if I wanted. So, figuring it had my name on it and I should try to "fix" it, I borrowed it back. It was a challenge doing watercolours and realizing they would dry lighter whereas acrylics dry darker, but I ended up happier about it. Then "in for a penny, in for a pound" as my grandmother used to say, I knew it needed re-framing as the mat took too much from the edges and didn't give the painting breathing room. Anyway, it is done now and I plan on taking it back this next week. I'll report on the reaction.

No comments: