Thursday, January 28, 2016

Investments

     This is just over 2 hours work on our "long pose" which we have every couple of months at Life Drawing. I drew this last night. Our model wore street clothes and we had her sit a little sideways to get away from the more usual head-on pose. I was reasonably pleased with the results - although her right hand is a little confused - maybe the shadowing has to be clearer so the viewer knows there is a thumb on the other side of the newspaper!  I was able to take a photograph for further reference in case I decide to do a painting based on this pastel piece. Interestingly enough, when I looked at the photograph, all the colours that I found appealing in the pastel were just not there. If I was to do a commissioned portrait of a busy person - say too busy for regular "sittings"- I think I would want to do a pastel for reference as the photograph seems to almost deaden colour.
     I'm not sure what she is reading in the paper- probably not news of investments that are on such a roller-coaster right now. People also get uptight about buying art and worry that it is not an "investment" - or else buy something because the signature would seem to indicate it *is* a good investment. Like a lot of artists, however, I can't guarantee a growth in investment - but is that important? Art that you enjoy is a great investment in the pleasure that you get from looking at it. It  will keep paying you back every time you look at it. A lot of art today is more for shock value- think shark in a tank of formaldehyde- and the more traditional idea of art being about beauty seems to be forgotten. If  a person wants something to bring them pleasure, then it would seem we have to return to the more traditional values in art.  Just buy something you want to look at- and it will pay you back in happiness dividends.

No comments: