Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Concept but not Conceptual

This is a painting from a series I did of close-up views of garden flowers. I call this one "Cleome Squared" because I had an idea - a concept, if you want to call it that- of making a bit of a grid be part of the design of the painting. It is easier to see in the actual painting, but even then you have to look for it. Colours change slightly on the grid. It was rather fun to do and I think adds an extra dimension of interest to the painting, I did a variation of this idea in my "Finn Slough Patchwork" painting - and I may very well play with this idea again - but I would plan on having a finished painting - not just the idea as is so often the case with "conceptual art". The idea is enough,  say "Conceptual Artists", you don't have to see it through.and actually produce something.  I read about a teacher brought in to do a course on conceptual art at an art school - no names mentioned to protect the guilty. Instead of teaching, he spent his time digging a hole - and the administrators thought this was brilliant and put it  down as a high point in conceptual art. There is no mention of what the students who paid for the course thought about the non-instruction. I think you have to have an idea behind a painting  to have a good painting. There has to be a reason for painting the subject. The thought behind the painting may, or may not, be conveyed to the viewer since the viewer also brings his or her own thoughts to the viewing - but I think it makes a stronger painting. Once you know there is a grid to this painting, it becomes a bit of a challenge to find where it is and look for colour changes beyond what light and shadow might be doing anyway.

No comments: