Monday, June 8, 2009

Canvas Unbound


The new show at the Federation Gallery on Granville Island is called "Canvas Unbound" because all the paintings are on canvas and are unframed. Some people like to frame paintings, but I usually don't, anyway. I think they "sit" on a wall in a more modern way without frames - but I guess it depends on a person's taste and decor.

The painting that I had juried into this show is "Pottery Fair" and is just a piece of the pottery fair that we went to in Beroun in the Czech Republic. This fair is held twice a year and potters come from all over and totally fill the town square. We were lucky that the timing of our trip allowed us to attend the fair. The variety was incredible - every colour and every style. My painting is of the works of just one potter. The brightly striped pottery made a great contrast on the cobblestones. It was an interesting and challenging painting to paint!

No comments: