Thursday, January 30, 2014

Shelley in watercolour and wax crayon

With a couple more pastels still to photograph,  I decided to end this month with a change of media. This is drawn with a fairly sharp black wax crayon from a 10-minute pose. Then I made a note of shadows and added the watercolour wash afterwards. I did the drawing on watercolour paper, planning to add the paint. I may check my paper supply - I'm on a binge of using up what is already in drawers- and do a few more wax crayon drawings on Life Drawing nights. I'm finding that drawing with coloured pencils- black and white- on grey paper only works at all if there is a 20-minute pose. Shorter than that, and I can't get enough down. I'm sort of hoarding the grey paper sketchbook and don't want to waste it if I can't use it to reasonable advantage. So, maybe I will switch media around from conte' for one and two-minute poses to something else for 5 minutes to wax crayon and penicl crayon. Could be fun.

No comments: