Friday, February 14, 2020

More flowers..

What can I say? I'm looking forward to flowers! 
Although I have a garden full of snowdrops right now, I'm still looking forward to having bigger, lusher flowers. These are David Austin roses but I don't know the exact name as the plant was bought when a nursery was going out of business. I thought it was a "regular" shrub rose but it is actually a semi-climber. I have mixed feelings about roses - lovely, but I don't like thorns. This one redeems itself by having a lovely scent and a long blooming period. I was experimenting with a dark background again, here. Sometimes it works for a more dramatic effect - but sometimes very light makes for an airy feeling. I guess the only answer is to paint what ever seems best for the particular bouquet. I painted these from life but I did a bit more painting on it just recently--- sometimes it is good to return with a fresh eye.

No comments: