Monday, October 5, 2009

2010 Multifaith Calendar

The 2010 Multifaith Calendar is out! "Enduring" is the painting for the month of June and I was able to borrow the painting back from Richmond Hospital Foundation for the launch.This painting was originally done for the Richmond Art Gallery's themed juried show "Changing City". I thought it would be interesting to twist the idea to something that had *not* changed. I especially liked the Murakami garden because it was not at all what you would first expect. This is the artist statement from that exhibition "My painting is called "enduring" because it is about something that has lasted, rather than changed. The Japanese words for Murakami, "garden", "enduring" and "living history" are carved into the textured fence posts while English written words are hidden throughout the painting. I have painted this garden before because it is an expression of a free-spirited woman making her statement. I thought a re-interpretation would show that some things carry on. I wanted to celebrate a piece of living history that continues while change occurs around it." The calendar is really lovely and it was nice to meet some of the other artists. It is possible to buy the calendar online at www.multifaithcalendar.com

No comments: