Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Whimsical prints


Yesterday I was at the Federation Gallery to pick up my painting from the "Canvas Unbound" show and to take a look at the new print show. I find printmaking intriguing but I haven't done any since Art School. However, yesterday I was thinking that there seems to be a different level of acceptance- or would that be theme of acceptance?- in prints than in paintings. Maybe it is brought on by their very smallness, but there is a lot of whimsy and some almost cartoon-ish pieces. I felt some might be the kind of stuff for doodles in sketchbooks but would be rejected if submitted to a regular show. Not to say that I didn't like them. I don't know enough to say whether the techniques were outstanding and that was part of the acceptance or not. I could only judge the images -and I found a lot appealing. Some brought a smile. I just wonder about the difference and acceptability. Or is it something that come with the choice of medium? Are people with a sense of whimsy - and showcasing it- drawn to the printmaking process? Something to think about.......for the illustration here, here is my Singer in Red.

No comments: