Thursday, August 25, 2011

Summer Gallery at Omega


Summer is not over yet and the Summer Gallery show at Omega is still on. I am one of four painters and my contribution to the show is all European paintings. This one is of Orvieto, a hill town not too far from Rome. We parked at the bottom, because the medieval town could not take modern traffic, and took a funicular railway up to the old town. There is a beautiful 12th century cathedral there with a mosaic front - and interesting narrow streets. I like the way the space over the streets is often used - as in this painting with the building forming an arch over the street. I think that there is a bit of a sense of mystery - what is down the street, through the arch? Who is the lady meeting? I used a palette knife on the building so that the layers of paint show through somewhat - just like the old plaster. It adds a richness and surface interest to the painting.

No comments: